Today I will show you how to connect your Apple MAC to any VPN service using the OpenVPN protocol. OpenVPN is a fast, stable, and secure protocol with most VPN service providers supporting it including IPVanish VPN.
- Download & Install Tunnelblick
- Install OVPN Configuration Files & Connect
- Video: Set up OpenVPN on macOS
- See Also
- Further Reading
- You’ll need a VPN service that supports the OpenVPN Protocol like NordVPN, ExpressVPN or IPVanish VPN
- You’ll also need to login to your VPN service provider and find your OpenVPN credentials (username and password)
- The OpenVPN configuration files (
.ovpn/.tblk/.conf) you may need to login to your VPN service provider to access these files, which will usually be in a .zip folder (Download BTGuard config files here).
Download & Install Tunnelblick
- Download the “Stable” version of Tunnelblick here
- Double click the Tunnelblick
- Double click the Tunnelblick Installer icon
- Click Open
- Leave updates and IP address change options checked and click Continue
- Click I have configuration files
- Click OK
Install OVPN Configuration Files & Connect
- Locate your OpenVPN configuration files (i.e. Downloads folder) then select and drag onto the Tunnelblick icon top-right of your screen
- Click Only Me or All Users depending on your preference
- To connect, click the Tunnelblick icon, then select a server location
- Enter your VPN username and password, and optionally a security code
- You should now be connected to your VPN service providers OpenVPN network
Video: Set up OpenVPN on macOS
Hopefully everything went well and you’re now connected using the OpenVPN protocol. If you had any issues, let me know in the comments or socials/email.
There are currently no comments on this article.